Welcome!

Welcome to my blog, where one may find all sorts of random, hopefully amusing tidbits about food & other things.

December 2, 2013

thai turkey meatballs.


I'm running a 5K in six days. I thought I'd share how I am preparing for this, as I consider myself an elite athletic guru.

1. Don't run for several weeks. In the meantime, stay up late both because you are hanging with yo buds and because you overcommitted yourself, so you have lots of responsibilities to take care of.

2. Make lots of tasty treats, like german vanilla cake. Also, don't hold back on dem Thanksgiving mashed potatoes and gravy.

3. Randomly force yourself to run one day. Run so much after such a hiatus that you feel very sore (but good sore) the next day.



4. When you're not making tasty treats ... make them come to you. For instance, prepare (at the dining hall) or order a belgian waffle sundae with caramel, hot fudge, sprinkles and ice cream.

5. Do another one of those random runs outside. At least your body's acclimating to the cold, right?

6. Realize you have six days left and you are literally not prepared whatsoever. Stalk pinterest in hopes of finding inspiration.

7. Pin a bunch of fashion posts to your boards (or just keep clicking the links to blogs if you're like me and are in the < 1% who just can't get into pinterest) Cute animals don't hurt either ..

8. Realize you are woefully unprepared and try to find a friend who is as desperately behind as you are. I might just be running with my roommate (who from now on prefers to be called Dirty Pop instead of being a nameless identity on this blog) who definitely has run more than me recently but whatever.


Oh wait, did I say follow these steps? I meant do almost the exact opposite ....... and you might be okay.

And if you're looking for any meals to make pre- or post- exercise, these meatballs are a great option! They're super healthy, and have vegetables, spice, and lean protein. Eat with a whole grain (farro, brown rice, whole wheat pasta) for added fiber and carbs that your body needs for the beginning of that long workout. If you want even less fat or more health, substitute reduced fat milk for the coconut milk - although this will majorly take away from the "Thai" of the recipe.


To be honest, I'm usually averse to Thai curries, because I don't really like the heaviness and sort of greasy feel that coconut milk tends to leave on my tongue. But I enjoyed this! I simply added more tomato base to the gravy.

And contrary to my oh so serious list up there, I actually haven't been too terrible. And I still have six days!! That's like, so many days. Maybe I'll make these meatballs again ..


Thai Turkey Meatballs
adapted from here. when I made them, I just added the zucchini, although salting them to draw out some moisture first would help.
  • 1 lb. lean ground turkey
  • 1/2 a medium/large zucchini, chopped into very small pieces 
  • 1 Tablespoon fish sauce 
  • heaping 1/4 cup chopped scallions
  • 1 teaspoon ground basil 
  • 1 teaspoon ground ginger
  • 1/2 teaspoon fennel seeds
  • 3 garlic cloves, minced
  • 1 Tablespoon red curry paste
  • 2 heaping Tablespoons pureed pumpkin
  • as much hot chili pepper flakes as you'd like
  • Sriracha, optional (to taste) 
Sauce:
  • 1 can light coconut milk, well shaken
  • 1 cup tomato sauce (adjust according to taste)
  • 2 teaspoons fish sauce 
  • Sriracha, to taste 
  1. Sprinkle some salt on the zucchini. Let sit.
  2. Mix together all the other meatball ingredients evenly. 
  3. Add zucchini to meatball mixture, taking care to not add any liquid that was drawn out by the salt.
  4. Heat a large skillet with some oil, canola or olive. When hot, scoop heaping tablespoon sized meatballs into pan with two spoons. 
  5. Keep heat no higher than medium. Flip meatballs after a few minutes, just to brown. Meatballs should be mostly cooked, but don't need to be entirely cooked through. After 2-3 minutes, transfer meatballs to plate. Add a little more oil if necessary, and continue process until all meatballs are made.
  6. While meatballs are cooking, prepare the sauce. Whisk all the ingredients together, adding more/less of whatever you fancy. 
  7. Add all the meatballs into a pot or large skillet. Pour sauce over meatballs, and let simmer on medium-low heat for 15 - 25 minutes. 
  8. Serve with a whole grain pilaf (brown rice, farro, couscous, quinoa) or whole wheat pasta. Sliced green onions on top are optional. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...