Welcome!

Welcome to my blog, where one may find all sorts of random, hopefully amusing tidbits about food & other things.

August 18, 2012

honey custard.


Folks. I wrote one complete blogpost. All it needed was pictures, BUT it didn't feel right. So I deleted it and wrote another one. But the second one felt less right than the first, so I tried "command z"-ing my way to the first version. I didn't think it would work, because each "command z" only deleted one word. However, it seemed to be working! I had hope!

But there's no happy ending to this story. Command z failed me. It stopped working when there were less than 10 words left of the second version. Victory was so close .. but alas, command z has limits. That's the moral of the story, guys. I'm too tired to offer much more than that.

Besides these delicate honey custards, that is.


I laced up the ole sneaks today. I needed to (1) institute some action against the effects of the past week's stress eating and (2) tan some more. I think I pushed myself a bit much .. 5.75 miles later, here I sit, (post-shower, mind you) wondering how in the world I am going to successfully partake in the ropes course that constitutes Dance Marathon team bonding tomorrow morning.

I was craving salt and fluids so much while running. Fluids are obvious, but isn't it cool how the body usually craves what it needs? (unless you're this guy, in which case stay the hell away) I could also almost imagine my decreasing blood pressure inducing an increase in aldosterone, increasing sodium reabsorption and ..

I don't know how doctors contain themselves from spouting out random bits of knowledge when anything happens. Extreme willpower.

My willpower crumbles in the face of these delicate little custards. There are five ingredients (six, if you count salt), and the result is a silky custard, denser than flan and not too sweet. The honey plays a subtle, but complementary role to the texture of the custard. I love it. I imagine it would be great served with a berry coulis or a little homemade compote.


Honey Custard
  • 2 cups milk 
  • 1/4 cup honey 
  • 1/4 cup granulated sugar 
  • 1 tspn vanilla 
  • 3 eggs 
  • dash of salt 
  1. Grease six 1/2-cup ramekins with butter. Place them in a 9x13" baking pan. 
  2. Set a pot of water to boil. You are going to use this for the water bath later. 
  3. Whisk eggs with salt. 
  4. Scald the milk. Remove from heat. Stir in honey and sugar until dissolved. Add vanilla. 
  5. Temper the eggs with the warm milk, and then add eggs back into milk. 
  6. Whisk well. Distribute custard evenly into ramekins using a strainer. 
  7. Pour hot water into the baking pan until it comes halfway up the sides of the ramekins. 
  8. Bake at 350 degrees for about 40 - 45 minutes, until a knife inserted in the center comes out clean. 
  9. Remove from water, cool completely, and cover before storing in the fridge. 
  10. To serve, run a knife along the sides of the ramekin. Invert custard onto a plate. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...