Welcome!

Welcome to my blog, where one may find all sorts of random, hopefully amusing tidbits about food & other things.

September 23, 2012

tell me about: chia seeds!


I love these suckers.

Have you heard of them? Do you like them? Do they look too much like ants for you to try?

I'm here to tell you about these crunchy little seeds. I feel like a MythBusters host, or these guys, writing that. 




Actually, as I was watching grapes explode, I was at my friend's apartment, and he was making an avocado shake. I'd never had one! I'm not sure why. It had avocado, condensed milk, a little lemon juice, ice, and milk (Lactoid because he's asian and milk hates him - Bittman has an interesting article about this, and the title displays the catch phrase that inspired the name of my blog). It was delicious! Apparently, these shakes are prevalent in Asia and Brazil. 

Today is just filled with random foodie facts. I've been starved for them .. I hope your mind is prepared. 

The shake reminded me of health food for some reason (because that's what half a can of condensed milk always reminds people of), and I realized I should share the newest health thing I've been indulging in.

You might've seen them in drinks - in Mexico, they're mixed with water or fruit juice to make a chia fresca. They are a rich source of mucilage, or a thick substance released by plant things, for lack of scientific precision. When added to a liquid, the mixture will turn gelatinous. (flaxseeds have mucilage too .. gross word, I know. but that's why you can make flax eggs!) They are added to baked goods and oatmeal, not to mention included as the foundation for the 90's infomercial craze - Chia pets. 

What are "they" ? Chia seeds! They're a whole grain, and they have an absolutely ridiculous nutrient to amount ratio. I'll put the nutrition facts for the brand of chia seeds I eat below, as well as the benefits of each nutrient and mineral. There are actually black chia seeds, as well as white chia seeds, available for sale. They are pretty much nutritionally equivalent. The only benefit to white over black is that you can add them to things, and they'll be less visible. Good tip if you're trying to trick people into eating healthy. 

Click for a clearer view.

Nutiva Organic Chia Seeds (black seeds)

Serving Size: 1 Tbsp (12 g)
Calories: 60
Total Fat: 3 g (0 g sat fat + 2.5 g polyunsat)
Fiber: 5 g 
Protein: 3 g
Calcium: 8 %
Omega Fatty Acids: lots, apparently. 
Antioxidants: allegedly, the seeds contain a lot of these, too. 

As you can see, they're awesome. Flaxseed, even when ground, can disrupt the taste of things, but chia seeds just add crunch - no taste. I actually used them as part of a streusel for a sweet potato coffee cake, and it turned out well. They may not be so photogenic, but it doesn't bother me. 

PENGUIN.

yum

I also put them in my pbj's, on the pb side, before I sandwich the two pieces of bread. The only difference is the sandwich now has crunch. I'm a crunch person. It's awesome. 

Unfortunately, I have been making too many pbj's .. or just not eating much at all, lately. I have a kitchen this year, and I haven't cooked one meal! Not from scratch, at least. It's embarrassing. I went food shopping today, so next time I go over my friend's apartment for (spiked?) avocado smoothies, I can bring along some whoopie pies or something. Vanilla cake with cream cheese frosting filling? Um yes. 

Keep checking back here! Maybe there will be something savory coming. Actually, there better be, or my kitchen will have proven absolutely useless thus far. 

2 comments:

  1. Hi I was looking for some recipe on Chia Seeds,, and here you go .. Landed here.. You have one lovely set of recipes.. No button to follow you, where I can see your latest updates ???

    Please reply me at nupurs.kitchen@gmail.com

    Love
    Nupur

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your lovely comments! I wasn't aware my to-follow button was missing .. but I put it back! You can just put your email in for updates if you'd like (:

      Thanks for reading, I'm glad you enjoy my blog!

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...