Welcome!

Welcome to my blog, where one may find all sorts of random, hopefully amusing tidbits about food & other things.

April 27, 2013

strawberry banana milkshake.


So much pondering going on lately.

Like whether I should buy hot pink lipstick (Persian Melon sounds so enticing). 

Why there are no science classes available next semester.

What to do for my RU Dance Marathon Board of Director presentation.

And about what to bake. I've finally been eating healthy on a more regular basis, which means not a lot of baked goods. As a result, I barely crave them anymore. Which technically is good, but so sad! I feel like I've lost my inspiration for baking. 

Milkshakes aren't baking, but I've been making them a lot recently. They're not your indulgent it's-really-just-melted-ice-cream with sugary fruit syrup drink. They're pretty light. And they're great for reasons more than just how they taste, too.

Strain out seeds

I feel like lately, I've been surrounded by a lot of things and people. I have this feeling in the back of my mind that something's missing, or that I have something left to do, but can't tell what that something is. 

I read an article, after waking up at 6:45am this fine Saturday morning, that illustrated my situation pretty clearly. It mentioned the ubiquity of distractions we face on a daily basis. Whether they be that weird beeping sound you don't know the origin of, the signs and billboards trying to tell you how to think or what to buy, or in my case, the carrot-shaped timer that goes off indicating I need to do the next TBST wash for the third step of my Western blot, everything around us a distraction. We're not even aware of it. 

Sometimes, it's hard to even know how you feel about something because your mind is so inundated with others' opinions and words.

Add banana (last minute effort to try and freeze it)

By this point, I've come to appreciate the necessity of alone time. There is no set model for taking time out to clear your mind. 

Some people bike. Many go for a walk. Others like to watch movies. 

I always try to recognize times I feel particularly relaxed and refreshed. Such as when I run, especially through some area of nature (vs streets with traffic lights, etc), when the most distinct sound is that of all the hidden living things going about their business around me. Or the feeling of doing an intense spring cleaning - the entire apartment was hot-boxed for a couple hours after that one.

Blend

Of course, baking has been my catharsis for years, much longer than this blog has been around. Blogging is also extremely helpful. 

And so enters this smoothie. Not baking, but still food. I froze the banana to add some thickness, because our apartment doesn't have an ice cube tray. Never take basic necessities for granted in college.   I also strained the strawberry seeds out, because the mouthfeel is so much superior without those little annoying little seeds.

The almond milk gives calcium (and other good stuff). The berries & bananas have nutrients and fiber. And it's all in one cup. Overall, a pretty, refreshing, healthy milkshake.

It's a nice reminder that the good parts of life don't have to be so complicated. 


Strawberry Banana Milkshake
serves one as a snack or very light breakfast. *note - if you have bananas that are rapidly browning, just cut em up and freeze them for things like this. 

  • 5 medium - big strawberries, properly washed and hulled 
  • 1 cup almond milk 
  • 1/2 (or a whole, if you're hungrier) banana, cut into chunks and frozen
  • 1 spoonful honey, pref Manuka or one with a UMF score, optional
  1. Blend the berries and milk together very well. Strain into a mug. Eat or discard the seeds that are left in the strainer. 
  2. Pour the smooth berry-milk back into the blender. Add banana and honey, then blend well. 
  3. Pour into a mug and enjoy!

    No comments:

    Post a Comment

    Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...