Welcome!

Welcome to my blog, where one may find all sorts of random, hopefully amusing tidbits about food & other things.

June 26, 2013

fortune cookies.


These fortune cookies are from forever ago. A time when I was busy applying for a Director position for RUDM 2014. Since I was applying for the Hospitality team, and wanted a somewhat creative presentation, I decided to make fortune cookies.

I feel like they're one of those things people never think to make from scratch. Like pancakes, waffles, and whipped cream. As is expected, the from-scratch version is always better .. INFINITELY better. I can barely have Reddi-wip anymore! I can't remember the last time I made pancakes from a mix .. well okay, I can't remember the last time I had pancakes.

Anyway, so these fortune cookies. I ended up eating a third of the ones I made .. as I was making them. They were that good.


I've had these pictures ready to go for a while .. I guess sometimes it takes a little push or reminder that some people may still look at this little blog, to continue posting.

As I was looking up how to make fortune cookies, I read a lot about how intimidating it is, how fast you have to move, how tricky it is. I suppose all that is true .. I mean, I even watched a tutorial video (linked below), just to make extra sure I could do it - I was making these on the day of the interview, so they'd be fresh. That meant no mistakes.


The batter was weird looking .. which no sites warned me of. But the process itself? Not bad at all. I think I actually went too fast and some of my little cookies unraveled. You'll see when you make them .. which you totally should. Don't be intimidated!


In each of the cookies, I put a fortune that had one idea on it. I got Chinese takeout containers from a nearby restaurant (they were confused when I asked for them empty). I put the cookies in them, one for each of my interviewers, and made accompanying "menus," or handouts with my informations/more detail about my ideas on them.

All in all, they were highly enjoyed. I really appreciate the opportunity to be creative in an interview like that.

Make these! They taste like soft/crispy-edged French butter cookies. You'll totally want to eat them all.


Fortune Cookies
adapted from here. I watched this video, as well.
  • 1 large egg white 
  • 1/8 tspn vanilla extract 
  • 2 TB canola oil 
  • pinch of salt 
  • 1/4 cup all-purpose flour 
  • 2 TB granulated sugar 
  • fortunes written on 1/2 x 4" paper strips should be sufficient 
  1. Whip egg white and vanilla till frothy, but not stiff. There should be minimal stringy solid egg white left. This can be done by hand.
  2. Whisk in canola oil. 
  3. Mix dry ingredients together and mix into the egg white mixture. 
  4. Grease a baking sheet. Pour two circles of batter onto the sheet, 3 inches in diameter. Use fingers to spread out into circles that are extremely thin and as evenly round as possible. 
  5. Bake 4 - 6 minutes at 350 degrees F. 
  6. Remove tray from oven. Quickly take a cookie, flip it over onto a surface, put fortune inside, and fold the cookie over the fortune. Take the flat end of the now semi-circular cookie and bend it on a mug, to get the characteristic cookie shape. Watch the video for clarification, if necessary. 
  7. I waved around the cookies while holding them in a freezer for a couple seconds to shock-cool them a bit. Rest the cookies in muffin tins as you go, as they won't hold their shape until totally cool. Work fast with the first so the second cookie doesn't cool and become stiff. 
  8. Start with one or two. As you get the hang of it, you can definitely increase the number you bake at a time. Store in an airtight container, and if necessary, crisp up again in an oven for two-ish minutes.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...