Welcome!

Welcome to my blog, where one may find all sorts of random, hopefully amusing tidbits about food & other things.

July 31, 2013

sesame ginger noodles.


Why are people so wary of self-reflecting? I enjoy it .. it's not like I do it every second I get and look forward to it with longing, but if I find myself, say, on a 5.5 hour bus ride, with nothing but my iPod to accompany me, I let my mind wander.

And eventually, after thinking about how excited I am to bake again, speculating on my relationships with people, and still trying to get over the $14,000 on-campus apartments at BU, my mind turns to me. I don't know about everyone else, but I like seeing how much I have changed and the amount of experiences I've gone through for the past couple years. It makes me more appreciative.



I think people are afraid to admit things that are wrong with them, or to think about something that, despite being very true, they might not want to dwell on.

I don't know why I chose something so somber to talk about. Anyway, another thing people are hesitant to face (cooking-wise) is asian food. I know I am, but only for the reason that I usually don't have all the ingredients or desire to drive far to find a store and then buy all the ingredients only to use a teaspoon or tablespoon of each.

This dish involves none of that. The only cooking is that of vegetables for 5-10 minutes and boiling water for pasta. It makes enough for 2-3 people. The total cooking/prep time is under 30 minutes. There's also no need for extravagant ingredients - I live in an Indian household, and had all these ingredients on hand.

I even tell you how many soy sauce packets' worth of soy sauce you need. I got you. And now there is no excuse not to make this easy meal. 


Sesame Ginger Noodles 
adapted from here. There are 3 components - cook pasta, mix sauce ingredients, cook veggies. Estimated time - 15 - 20 minutes. Use pasta pot to cook veggies, to cut down on dishes.
  • 8 oz. noodles, any kind (I used a combo of thin spaghetti and whole wheat spaghetti - Chinese noodles would be more authentic)
  • 1 Tablespoon finely chopped ginger root
  • 1 clove garlic, finely chopped
  • 3 Tablespoons soy sauce (I found that this was equal to 3 soy sauce packets) 
  • 1.5 Tablespoons sesame seed oil 
  • 1 teaspoon rice vinegar 
  • 1 teaspoon honey or brown sugar (I used brown sugar, but either works!)
  • 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
  • 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper  

  • 2 teaspoons canola oil
  • 1 clove garlic, finely chopped
  • 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes, optional 
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt 
  • 1 small - medium onion, sliced 
  • 1/2 bell pepper, sliced (to match the size of the onion slices) 
  • 2 Tablespoons orange juice 
  • some pickled carrots, sliced, optional
  1. Combine sauce ingredients, from ginger to black pepper. Let sit at least 15 mins. 
  2. Cook noodles according to package. Drain, and set aside in a large bowl. Stir in sauce.
  3. While pasta is cooking: Heat oil in a pan. 
  4. Add garlic and red pepper flakes to oil. Let saute one minute, then add onions. 
  5. Add half the salt. Saute onions 4-5 minutes, till soft. 
  6. Add bell pepper slices and remaining salt. Saute 3 - 4 mins. 
  7. Add orange juice to deglaze any bits that may have stuck to the bottom of the pan. Cover and cook veggies a few more minutes. 
  8. Turn off heat and let veggies cool slightly. Then add to the noodles. 
  9. Add pickled carrots, if desired. Serve. It can be served equally well cold, too.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...