Welcome!

Welcome to my blog, where one may find all sorts of random, hopefully amusing tidbits about food & other things.

August 24, 2013

mango coconut cream cake.


With school starting soon, lots of things need to get done. I went to the bicycle shop today to get my bike repaired (a tube in the tire needed to be replaced). I packed half my clothes. I hauled my MCAT books up from the basement, although I still haven't made a decision on whether a retake is happening or not.

I also went to the dentist to get my teeth checked before a semester of stress eating and potachos healthy eating. I also learned how to use those little floss picks. I've never flossed before though, and the past few times I have, my gums start bleeding immediately! It sucks! I know it's normal, but I'm so wary of pushing my flosser vertically down between my teeth.

I need to get over it. Just like I finally got over any doubts I had about chiffon cakes with this cake.


On foodgawker, I had seen a beautiful strawberry cloud cake. I'm a sucker for anything creamy, light, and airy. This cake has so many of those things.

Strawberries weren't lookin too good at ShopRite, so I stuck with mangoes, of which my [Asian] household has a lot during the summer. I adjusted a basic chiffon cake recipe, and decided to add another complementary flavor profile - coconut.


The cake is mango chiffon. Inside lies a silky coconut custard. Mashed raw mango is swirled atop the delicious custard.

It was a birthday cake ... precariously close to the edge of the counter.

Barely sweetened whipped cream ensheathes the entire beauty, while golden brown sweet flakes of coconut adorn the top.

It's a winner, this cake. I shouldn't need to convince you any further to make this asap.

Remains after the first day.

** I assembled this cake at night and took pictures then, so colors are off. Nothing I could do, I wish I had natural lighting! **


Mango Coconut Cream Cake
adapted from here & here.

(1) Mango Chiffon Cake - start first, make custard while baking
  • 5 eggs, seperated 
  • 1 teaspoon cream of tartar 
  • 2 Tablespoons sugar 
  • 1 1/3 cups cake flour 
  • 1 cup + 6 Tablespoons sugar 
  • 2 teaspoons baking powder 
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt 
  • 1/2 cup vegetable or canola oil 
  • 1/2 cup mango puree (just blend fresh mango in food processor till smooth)
  • 1/4 cup water 
  • 1 scant Tablespoon vanilla extract
Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Combine egg whites and cream of tartar in bowl of stand mixer. Use whisk attachment to whip on medium-high until soft peaks form. Gradually add 2 TB sugar, while whipping. Continue whipping until whites become stiff and glossy.

Combine flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt in a bowl. Set aside. In a large bowl, mix together yolks, oil, mango puree, water, and vanilla. Add dry to wet mixture. Mix till just combined. 

Fold 1/3 egg whites into the batter. Fold slowly and consistently until incorporated. Lightly and gradually fold in remaining whites, a few dollops at a time. 

Transfer batter to an ungreased tube pan (Bundt or angel food cake pan), that has a hole in the middle. Bake 55 - 65 minutes, or until knife inserted in middle comes out clean. Remove from oven and place upside down over an appropriate bottle (check picture in post above). Cool completely. Then run a silicone spatula along edges of pan and center, then carefully remove from pan onto serving platter.

(2) Coconut custard - make while cake is baking, so it has time to cool
  • 3/4 cup milk (I used 2% with good results, but whole is best)
  • 3/4 cup coconut milk (I used Lite with good results)
  • 3 large egg yolks
  • 1/3 cup granulated sugar 
  • 2 1/2 Tablespoons cornstarch
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract 
Combine milks in a pot over medium-low heat. Bring to a simmer.

Whisk yolk, sugar, and cornstarch. Temper this mixture by adding milk, 2 spoonfuls at a time, to yolk mixture. Whisk quickly after each addition of milk, to prevent yolks from cooking. Continue slowly adding milk until half of it has been added. Return everything to the pot. Bring mixture to boil over medium heat, whisking constantly. Custard will visibly thicken. At this point, remove from heat, stir in vanilla, and transfer to heat-proof bowl. Let chill in fridge. 

(3) Whipped cream - can make 1-2 hours (or right before) before assembly 
Whip 1 cup of heavy cream to soft peaks. Add some confectioner's (powdered) sugar (I used about 1/2 cup) and 1 teaspoon vanilla extract. Continue beating until stiff peaks but still smooth. Take care to not over-beat, for cream will separate into butter. 

(4) Coconut - can toast & leave for days in advance 
Spread an even layer of sweetened, flaked coconut on baking sheet. Broil and watch carefully, with oven door open and oven mitt on hand. Turn pan to evenly brown. Alternately, place pan in oven at 350 degrees for 4 - 7 minutes. Coconut will be golden brown. Cool completely.

(5) Mango - can do 1-2 days before, or right before assembly
Take raw chopped, peeled mango. Mash into a rough puree using fork or food processor. Will need approximately 1/3 cup mashed fruit. 

ASSEMBLY -- 
1. Place cake on serving platter. 
2. Cut in half horizontally, evenly, using a serrated (preferably bread/cake) knife. 
3. Layer chilled coconut custard on the bottom half of cake (I used all the custard, leaving a spoonful or two for myself to eat).
4. Spoon mashed fruit into center of custard in a ring (look at pictures above). 
5. Replace top half of cake on top of custard.
6. Spread whipped cream all over cake, outside and inside. There will be enough.
7. Press toasted coconut into top of cake. 
8. Serve and enjoy this delicious light dessert. 

What remained of it: 
This was the teeny piece left after 2 days.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...