Welcome!

Welcome to my blog, where one may find all sorts of random, hopefully amusing tidbits about food & other things.

April 19, 2014

whole wheat carrot zucchini muffins.


The two busiest weeks of my senior year ended today, and I cannot be more at peace. Before 9pm, I had washed my face, brushed my teeth, climbed into bed, and was watching a movie, and IT WAS GREAT.

I figured I would blog since I had the time, even if I made these muffins a while ago.


They are super healthy, and a good way to use up extra zucchini & carrots. There's the usual whole wheat flour + bran, with vegetables adding their own moisture and sweetness, with raisins/dates contributing, as well.

I feel like all healthy muffin recipes end up being the same, and yet I'm always looking for a new one. Anyway, enjoy! I tend to make these when I also make something unhealthy (ie - tres leches cake), so I have healthier options for snacking.


Whole Wheat Carrot Zucchini Muffins
adapted from King Arthur Flour.
  • 1/2 cup chopped raisins or dates
  • orange juice (at least 1/2 - 3/4 cup)
  • 2 cups whole wheat flour
  • 1/3 cup wheat bran
  • 2 teaspoons baking soda
  • 1 Tablespoon cinnamon
  • 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
  • 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 3 large eggs
  • 1/3 cup neutral oil
  • 1/3 cup buttermilk, yogurt, or sour cream
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract 
  • 3/4 cup brown sugar, packed
  • 2 cups peeled, grated carrot
  • 1 medium size zucchini, grated 
  • 1/2 cup shredded, unsweetened or sweetened coconut (optional)
  • 1/2 cup chopped walnuts (optional)
  • 1/3 cup sunflower seeds.
  1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease a muffin tin.
  2. Add dried fruit to a microwaveable bowl. Pour enough orange juice over it to just submerge them. Heat for 30 - 45 seconds. Let soak.
  3. Stir together everything from wheat bran - salt. Set aside.
  4. Whisk eggs, oil, yogurt, and vanilla well. Measure out 1/4 cup of orange juice from rehydrated dried fruit, and add to the wet ingredients. Discard (or drink ..) rest of the juice. Whisk in brown sugar. 
  5. Carefully mix dry mixture into wet mixture, until dry streaks remain. 
  6. Add carrot and zucchini. Mix just until combined. Add dried fruit, coconut, and nuts, if using. Mix till just combined. 
  7. Dollop batter into greased muffin tins. It's okay if they are full almost to the top. Press sunflower seeds on top.
  8. Bake for about 25 minutes. They will be beautifully domed. They should feel done when gently pressed. Toothpick in center should come out clean. 
  9. Remove from oven, and let cool for about 5 minutes. Run a plastic knife around edges of each muffin before transferring them to cool on a wire rack. Store in airtight container for a few days. If you have them longer, move to the fridge.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...