Welcome!

Welcome to my blog, where one may find all sorts of random, hopefully amusing tidbits about food & other things.

March 11, 2012

rose cream hearts.


I just beat two worlds in KH1. What else have I done since being home?

Uh, made these beautiful cookies, duh. I adore custard. Custard anything .. crème caramel, egg tarts, bread pudding, the filling of cream horns, eclairs, cream puffs, and lobster tails (aka - sflogliatelle). Look at this beautiful picture of a lobster tail dissection I randomly found. I swoon.

I could continue, but you get the point. And I realized that despite my love of custard, I barely have any custard things on here. So here is one. These rose cream hearts are light delicate cookies which can be cut into any shape (I did hearts), and in-between is sandwiched a filling. I made my filling rose-flavored, with zero food coloring, because I am also obsessed with rose anything, but you can easily make them regular custard-flavored or vanilla.



Aren't they so cute? I love them. I guess you could cut them into circles so the guys would eat them ... but hey, my brothers had no reservations about finishing the entire batch less than 12 hours after I made them.



Not going to say I didn't help eat them, as well ..

Oh hello there doggie. 

I brought my sneakers home, at least. Whenever I'm not being a sleeping machine like today (slept 10 hours + 2 hours before dinner while reading Angela's Ashes, which is apparently really sad) or sitting on my brother for freezing the back of my neck with a cold glass bottle, I shall be attempting to get some movement in.

Make these today, please! They're not hard to make, and you have such freedom with the filling. Imagine orange zest? Or cinnamon? Or chocolate? So many options.



Rose Cream Hearts
adapted from here.

Biscuits
  • 175 grams (about 1 1/3 cups) all purpose flour 
  • 2 Tb custard powder 
  • 1 Tb powdered sugar 
  • 3 Tb granulated sugar 
  • 1 tspn baking powder 
  • 1 stick unsalted butter, cold
  • 1 large egg 
  • 1 Tb milk 
Filling
  • 1/2 stick unsalted butter, room temp 
  • 2 Tb cream cheese, room temp
  • 3/4 cup confectioner's sugar 
  • 1/2 tspn vanilla 
  • 1 Tb rose syrup (or another 1/4 tspn vanilla) 
  • 1-2 drops rose essence (optional) 
  • could also substitute rose flavorings with custard powder, cinnamon, orange zest, or cocoa 
  1. Add flour - sugar to a food processor. Pulse to mix. 
  2. Add butter to food processor. Mix until crumbly. 
  3. Add egg and milk and blend till combined into a dough. Form dough into round, cover with plastic wrap, and freeze about 30 mins. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
  4. Meanwhile, make the filling. Beat the butter and cream cheese together. Beat in remaining ingredients. Set aside.
  5. Roll the dough out in the plastic wrap or on a floured surface, and cut into desired shapes. Dot the periphery with a skewer or toothpick. Bake at 350 for about 10 minutes. 
  6. Sandwich completely cooled hearts with filling. Enjoy. They're especially fancy served with tea or as a classy dessert. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...