Welcome!

Welcome to my blog, where one may find all sorts of random, hopefully amusing tidbits about food & other things.

April 6, 2012

crazy brownies.


These brownies are crazy. Why? Because there's crazy things going on with them.

As a corollary, there have been lots of crazy things going on with me, too. Corollary .. coronary .. artery .. heart attack.

That's my train of thought, without fail, when I hear/see/say corollary. I guess heart attack is kind of depressing. But doesn't everything lead to cancer anyway?


These brownies don't!! Indulge. Indulge me by indulging in these brownies. #wordflow


That picture shows all the weird things in this brownie.

- ground flaxseed. (fiber (improves digestion), omega-3 fatty acids (helps with internal inflammation), lignans (natural cancer-protective compound), helps reduce LDL)
- whole wheat flour. (fiber, whole grains)
- cocoa powder. (antioxidants)
- baby food. but that's only because I didn't have applesauce. (fiber, natural, healthy substitute for fat)
- dark red kidney beans. (fiber, protein)

See all those good things? It ezz all zo crazee I cannot, I cannot.

Did I ever elaborate about the time I starred as a French "Chef Madame Souffle" in front of a couple hundred college students, for Volunteer Orientation for Dance Marathon? I used the accent shown above. Some of the volunteers at DM actually recognized me from that during the marathon! Eet vaz crazeeee.

Now zat we av been past zat, I guess I need to convince you that these brownies are not disgusting, au contraire to what you may believe from the ingredients picture.

These brownies are fat-free, but still pretty fudgy. They get a teeny bit beany around the edges, but if you chop these into tiny square pieces and sprinkle them over ice cream before drizzling with salted caramel sauce ... you will not even realize these brownies have anything unusual in them. You'll think they're so rich & indulgent. No lie. My dad was the test. I could make something really fatty and sugary & if I just say it's healthy, he automatically won't eat/like it. But he loved these.

I cannot entreat you enough to try these. The picture should suffice, if my words of recommendation do not.


Crazy Brownies 
highly adapted from here. I didn't include eggs in my batch, but I think the recipe could benefit from it. If interested in trying that, add egg to the bean mixture.
  • 1 cup canned (or cooked) dark red kidney beans
    • 1 medium-large carrot, peeled, & steamed/cooked till mushy 
    • 1/4 cup applesauce 
    • 2 Tb yogurt 
    • 1 tspn vanilla extract 
    • 3/4 packed cup brown sugar 
    • 1/2 cup cocoa powder 
    • 3/4 tspn baking powder 
    • 1/8 tspn baking soda 
    • 1/8 tspn salt  
    • 1/4 cup ground flaxseed 
    • 1/4 cup whole wheat flour 
    • 1/4 - 1/2 cup chocolate chips 
    1. Puree beans, carrot, applesauce, yogurt, and vanilla in blender. Puree until mixture is completely smooth. This may take some time, but you do not want any chunks of beans in your brownies. If necessary (or if you would find it helpful), add in some of the required brown sugar to loosen things up a bit. 
    2. Add brown sugar to the bean mixture. 
    3. Stir together the dry ingredients, from baking powder - flour. 
    4. Add dry to wet mixture. Stir till just combined. 
    5. Transfer batter to well greased pan. Bake about 30 minutes. Do not overbake! When testing center, take out when crumbs are sticking to the skewer. Let cool, refrigerate till chilled, and then partake without telling anyone what's in these till after. 

    No comments:

    Post a Comment

    Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...