Welcome!

Welcome to my blog, where one may find all sorts of random, hopefully amusing tidbits about food & other things.

June 21, 2012

dulce de leche brownies.


Summer has officially started! It seems to also be the season of new houses. So many visits to friends' new homes, particularly when you find yourself with extra time, after your MCAT class got cancelled because the teacher went to the wrong city, 40 mins away.

These brownies are easy enough to make before you have to leave for any housewarming parties, though. Remember I mentioned that the dulce de leche would come up again?

Yeahhhh man .. right here. Right now. Kitchen. Go. 


I made these for a BBQ last weekend. The weather was beautiful that day - not the (heat index of) 100 degrees F it was yesterday or anything. My car had been sitting in the sun for 4-5 hours before I got in ... I was wearing shorts. I think I got 3rd degree from sitting on those leather seats.

I didn't actually get burned, that'd suck. I feel like I have tons of scars from burns everywhere. I scar really easily ... so I have marks from the most random places.

There's one on my arm that I got that while taking something out of the oven. I was wearing oven mitts. And another from a tennis net, that I got while not playing tennis. A particularly bad one from a mud run.

I don't know. What I do know is how delicious these brownies are.

They are your basic fudgy chocolatey brownies. No cakey business going on here, not with 6 oz. of melted chocolate in the recipe.


But then comes the awesome part. You take a full cup of creamy, toasty dulce de leche. Yep, dollop those thick spoonfuls into that cup measure until it's just about spilling over. And then you spoon some down over the brownie batter, and flip the spoon over so you can swirl the tan into the dark dark brown.

Good stuff, man, good stuff. I think I may make one more thing with the dulce de leche .. later though, I need a little variety. But dulce de leche really is so versatile. Imagine oozing out of crepes? Yum.

All that's left for me now is to try some cajeta.


Dulce de Leche Brownies
again, props to David Lebovitz
  • 1 stick (8 Tb) unsalted butter 
  • 1 cup (6 oz.) bittersweet or semisweet chocolate, chopped 
  • 1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa 
  • 3 large eggs 
  • 1 cup sugar 
  • 1 tspn vanilla extract 
  • 1 cup flour 
  • 1 cup dulce de leche, or cajeta 
  1. Line an 8" square pan with aluminum foil so that it slightly hangs over the sides. You want to be able to lift the baked brownie out of the pan with the foil overhang. Lightly grease the foil. 
  2. Melt butter in a saucepan. Add chocolate pieces. 
  3. Remove from heat. Add cocoa powder. 
  4. Add eggs one at a time. Then stir in vanilla, sugar, and flour. 
  5. Transfer half the batter to the prepared pan. Spoon 1/3 cup dulce de leche evenly in dollops over the batter. Swirl. 
  6. Cover with remaining brownie batter. Scoop remaining dulce de leche on top, then swirl with a knife or the end of the spoon. 
  7. Bake 30-40 minutes. Do not over-bake! Center will just feel firm. Cool completely. Remove brownies using the foil overhang. Cut into squares. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...