Welcome!

Welcome to my blog, where one may find all sorts of random, hopefully amusing tidbits about food & other things.

June 22, 2012

mini falafel bites.


Ever have those times where you just want to eat everything?

I tend to be fine during the day, but as soon as night comes .. my ability to gauge proper food portions and my self-will are completely and utterly destroyed. Tonight is one of those nights. I just had chocolate cake with dulce de leche (excellent combo .. also, that dulce de leche is not going anywhere anytime soon, there's a lot of it), a huge thick chewy chocolate chunk (> chip) cookie, and whatever skim milk was left in the container. There's something liberating about drinking milk straight from the gallon carton sometimes.

Or maybe I just need to do more spontaneous things.

I mean, eating all these sweet things was so satisfying pretty courageous as it is. I have a dentist appointment soon. I'll brush my teeth extra well?

If I were craving something savory, I so would've made more of these mini falafel bites.

They're absolutely adorable, and I love them. It's perfect for nibblers, such as myself, who find themselves scavenging the kitchen every hour or so. They're also excellent at parties! Or BBQ's. Or any event, really, they're like hors d'oeuvres. Also, it minimizes waste. I hate when people waste food. No respect.

These were created as a result of my mom's culinary genius. No exaggeration. We had both seen pitettes in the grocery stores and quickly determined they were the cutest things ever. Pitettes are really mini, bite-sized pitas. Toufayan makes them. I would link to their site, but it's not all that representative.

Anyway, then my mom had the idea of making these falafel bites. I was merely the assembler, and she, the creator.

Assembly time!

First, get some pitettes. Cut them in half.

Second, grab three or four leaves of rinsed baby spinach. Press them into the pitette, leaving some sticking out, for show.


Next, put a little piece of tomato in there. Let that stick out a little, too. We want these to look pretty, and it's not difficult at all to do so.


Finally, the falafel can join the party. Just squeeze it in.

And voila! You have successfully created a mini falafel bite! Make plenty of them, and then arrange attractively on a platter. I forgot to take a picture of the final platter I made. Boo.

There was also a bowl of tzatziki sauce and red garlic chutney placed alongside the platter, for people to spoon on themselves. The pita would've gotten soggy if the sauce were put in before.


Here's the mozzarella, tomato, and olive platter, however. Again, my mom's idea, executed by me. This is before the drizzle of balsamic, olive oil, sliced fresh garlic, and Italian herbs.


We had a ton more savory food, plus those dulce de leche brownies for dessert. I'm always curious to know what other people eat at their barbecues, though! Similar things? Different? Hm.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...