Welcome!

Welcome to my blog, where one may find all sorts of random, hopefully amusing tidbits about food & other things.

December 28, 2012

eggnog ricotta cheesecake.


Coming home is the most wonderful thing ever. I am always reminded of how important family is, and that there is more to the world than just education, although that's obviously important too.

I have also become enlightened in many different ways. For one, my parents are an unending source of wisdom. And humor. Yesterday my dad mentioned how he totally expected me to come home with a puppy, as I've been wanting one for a while. 

I said our current dog would act motherly towards the puppy. He responded by saying no, the puppy would just be annoying to my current dog, and bite her legs all the time. 

My mom countered by pointing out that my little brother doesn't bite my legs all the time, so why would a puppy bite my dog's legs?


Despite the perfect logic, I unfortunately had to agree with my dad. My mom did appease me by getting the cutest slippers EVER. 

This is a head on view. It's a pug!!! 

I have also been honing my table tennis skills. I am perfecting my forehand drives and backhand pushes, and on the path to becoming a, as the amateurs call it, "ping pong" master. World, beware. 

Beyond the realm of puppies and table tennis, the video for "Thrift Shop" has been on replay, so much so that I can almost perfectly imagine it as I listen to the song on the radio.

I have been telling everyone lately to listen to Macklemore. Granted, by "everyone," I mean all less than five people I have kept in contact with during break so far. I have no inclination to talk to people, save for my best friend, my roommates, home friends, and a few others. Everyone knows how much it sucks when the other party never responds, so I am trying to not do that to people. 


Indulging in food and rest have been a primary focus of break, otherwise. This eggnog cheesecake is a reliable recipe I have been making around eggnog season (aka - holiday season) for years. 

I am not a fan of cheesecake, but I love this, so I recommend anyone who's skeptical to try it out! There is a shortbread crust, which is the best part. Butter, flour, and sugar mix to form a crumbly pile that's pressed into a springform pan. 

The crust is baked while the creamy filling gets prepared. A slurpy (hehe) mix of ricotta and softened cream cheese, with some eggs, glugs of eggnog, and heavy dashes of nutmeg. I have always preferred cheesecakes made with a higher proportion of ricotta. Also (if this is a worry of yours with cheesecake) I don't think this one cracks so easily. 


Eggnog Ricotta Cheesecake 
  • 1/3 cup sugar 
  • 1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, softened
  • 1 1/3 cups flour 
  • 1/4 tspn salt 

  • 8 oz. cream cheese 
  • 16 oz. ricotta (part skim works just fine)
  • 1/2 cup sugar 
  • 2 tspn cornstarch 
  • 3 eggs 
  • 3/4 cup eggnog 
  • 1 tspn vanilla 
  • 1/4 tspn ground nutmeg 
  1. Make Crust: Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Layer bottom of springform pan with foil. Cream butter and sugar till fluffy. Add flour and salt. Mix till crumbly. Press crust into pan. Bake 10 - 15 minutes, till edges are golden. 
  2. Make Filling: Beat cream cheese a little. Beat in ricotta, sugar, and cornstarch. Beat in eggs, eggnog, vanilla, and nutmeg. Pour filling into crust as it comes out of oven. 
  3. Return pan to oven, and bake 50 - 55 minutes. Remove from oven. 
  4. Let cool to room temperature before chilling in refrigerator. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...