Welcome!

Welcome to my blog, where one may find all sorts of random, hopefully amusing tidbits about food & other things.

September 9, 2011

pink buttercream cupcakes.


There is so much history behind these cupcakes. The simplicity these convey is a facade for the events that occurred while they existed.

Earthquakes, ants, disasters galore! 

Let me explain.


I made these one day. The next day, Hurricane Irene attacked New Jersey. I lost power. Hundred year old trees had fallen - one tree was responsible for toppling over the power line that cut off our town's power and phone lines. Rivers grew. Houses flooded. Bridges disappeared under a ton of water. The hospital by my house sits on a hill, for which it should be grateful because it literally became an island, surrounded on all sides by water. 

And while in my woeful state, I tried to find things to do to waste my time. I was eager to return to college, but couldn't for obvious reasons. So I made a headband holder out of an old t-shirt with a needle & thread. I made a necklace out of an old tank top. I read like five Tintin comic books (dear remembrance of my childhood) in half an hour. I pet my dog. I stared outside and tried to move the damn tree that was cutting off our power with my mental strength. That didn't work. 

And finally, in desperation, I just ate. Because people eat when they're bored. And also the fridge wasn't working, so I took the opportunity to excuse eating a King Drumstick Cone. I mean, I just had to eat it, it would go bad without proper cooling. 


And then, in more desperation, I started reading my organic chemistry textbook. 

These were sad times that I do not want to relive.

The bright spot was that I made these cupcakes before the mess that followed. Until ... 


I caved and ate one. Which is only embarrassing because my family, despite my assurances that I would not be offended if they ate these cupcakes I made for my suitemates (I would just make more!), did not eat any of them. I hate myself sometimes. 

But anyway, so I eventually got to leave for school - yay! On the way there, we took 287 South. The other side of the street was 287 North - it was a mess. Later, I heard that part of it collapsed. Part of a highway freaking collapsed. Isn't that crazy? 

And so I finally got to school, people ate my cupcakes, mm nom nom, and then there was only one cupcake left, for this crazy kid who likes stale cupcakes. So I left it to stale on the windowsill in a glass container. I don't know whether he was joking, but I was going to make him eat it ... until the ants that came out of a hole in my wall mauled it. Literally. 

After much drowning with Lysol, shrills, and sadness for the lost cupcake, all was well again. And now you have heard my stories. Please enjoy the cupcake recipe. 


Oh yeah, and I dyed the buttercream pink because I find that adorable. But I also usually dislike when things are dyed colors that mean nothing, unless it's to celebrate a sports team or something. So I added rose "sirop" to this ... I adore rose. Just saying. And it was subtle, but so delicious. I want it right now. 


Vanilla Cupcakes with Buttercream 
slightly adapted from here. if you don't have self-rising flour, substitute 1 cup all-purpose flour, 1 1/2 tspn baking powder, & 1/4 tspn salt. 
  • 1 stick (1/2 cup) unsalted butter 
  • 2/3 cup white sugar 
  • 3 large eggs
  • 1 tspn vanilla extract 
  • 1 cup self-rising flour 
  • 1/2 cup all-purpose flour 
  • 1/4 cup buttermilk or regular milk 
  1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Prepare a cupcake pan with 12 cupcake wrappers. 
  2. Cream butter and sugar till fluffy. 
  3. Add eggs, one at a time, beating thoroughly after each one. 
  4. Beat in the vanilla. 
  5. Mix the two flours together. Add to the butter mixture, alternating with the milk. 
  6. Bake about 15-20 minutes, or toothpick comes out clean. 
  7. Remove from pan, and cool completely. Frost with desired frosting (recipe suggestion below). 
Buttercream 
  • 1 1/2  - 2 cups confectioner's sugar (aka - powdered sugar)
  • 1 stick (1/2 cup) unsalted butter, room temperature
  • 1 tspn vanilla, or other flavoring (adjust amounts for different flavorings)
  • 1 - 2 Tb milk 
  • food dye, completely optional
  1. Beat the butter till nice and fluffy. 
  2. Add sugar in increments, until it is sweet enough for you. One and a half cups worked for me. 
  3. Add flavoring. Beat well. 
  4. Add dye. Beat very well. 
  5. Add milk, if necessary, to make the frosting not as stiff. 

1 comment:

  1. There are many people turn to food when they feel bored. It is a nice pink frosting, looks very feminine. Good to know you are safe and not hurt by Irene.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...