Welcome!

Welcome to my blog, where one may find all sorts of random, hopefully amusing tidbits about food & other things.

May 15, 2012

layered chocolate birthday cake.


I just backed up my computer. I feel so accomplished .. for two reasons. One, it's break. Almost everything qualifies as productive. Fix my hair? Awesome. Change my clothes? Go me. Leave the house? Woah I'm wild! And will need to sleep by 10pm to compensate for the exhausting day I had.

Secondly, I feel like backing up a computer is something that's always advised to do, and no one really does it.

I'm trying to do things I should be doing more. Like backing up my data. Not eating PBJ's everyday. Exercising. Stimulating my brain. Keeping up with responsibilities. All these things juxtapose what I said earlier, my idealized vision of break.

But long term .. they'll help me, right?

Ironic that I am thinking about health and overall wellness whilst introducing this killer chocolate cake to you.

But ok wait. I made this cake for my brother's birthday. So I took that day to indulge one last time (nothing crazy, just an extra large piece of cake) before getting on track.

Now let me tell you about this cake! It's different from typical chocolate cake recipes. First, you cream the butter and sugar. That's normal. But then, you pour steaming hot, strong coffee over the entire thing. And stir, till everything mostly melds together.

After that cools down a bit, you stir in egg yolks and melted chocolate. They add a gorgeous richness that creates a thick chocolate soup you just want to swim in.


Into that goes the beaten whites of the yolks you added before.


The cakes come out with a crisp top, reminiscent of meringues, which is due to the beaten egg whites. Taste some of the top when you take it out - so. good.

During assembly, raw (eggless) cookie dough is smoothed out between the cake layers, and then cookie dough frosting envelops the entire cake in sweet goodness.


It's reminiscent of the cupcakes I made at my dorm! My brother's a huge fan of chocolate and super sweet things .. so similar to me. <3

The kid. I got him a Batman video game on the recommendation of a friend, and he's too much of a noob to play it. My brother and I soon took over with the other game I got him - Prince of Persia. The main player is a freaking monkey/superman .. jumps & swings like his life depends on it. Which, I guess in the game, it does.

It's okay, he was able to finish the enormous slice of cake I cut him, so I at least give him that.

If you like chocolate cakes, you'll really like this one. Try it and then share with friends & family so you don't devour the whole thing by yourself!! (but if you do, just know that I will hold incredible respect for you.)

I love cutting and eating little slivers ... lots & lots of little slivers.

Chocolate Birthday Cake
cake from here. the filling and frosting are from cupcakes I made earlier. I will include the recipes below, anyway.
  • 1/2 cup (or 1 stick) unsalted butter 
  • 2 cups granulated sugar 
  • 1 cup hot, strong coffee 
  • pinch of salt 
  • 3 eggs, seperated
  • 1/2 cup semisweet or bittersweet chocolate, melted and slightly cooled 
  • 1 Tb vinegar (I used apple cider, you can use almost any kind)
  • 1 tspn baking soda 
  • 2 cups flour 
  • Cookie Dough Filling (below)
  • Cookie Dough Frosting (below) 
  1. Preheat oven to 325 degrees F (or 300 degrees F if using convection). Grease and flour two round cake pans. Make sure to flour them well, as cake will want to stick. 
  2. Cream butter and sugar. Add hot coffee and salt, and stir till mostly all combined. Let sit. 
  3. Add egg yolks to melted chocolate, one by one, and quickly stir after each addition to prevent chocolate from seizing. 
  4. Add chocolate-yolk mixture to the coffee mixture. Mix well. 
  5. Dissolve soda in vinegar. Add.
  6. Stir in flour. 
  7. Gently fold in stiffly beaten egg whites. 
  8. Pour batter into prepared pans. Bake about 30-40 minutes. Cake will spring back when gently pressed. 
  9. Let cool before assembly. 
Raw (eggless!) Cookie Dough, filling (perfect for a 2-layer round cake)
  • 1/2 stick (1/4 cup) unsalted butter, room temp
  • 2 Tb granulated sugar 
  • 1/4 cup brown sugar, packed
  • 1/2 cup flour 
  • 1/4 tspn baking soda (for flavor!) 
  • 1/4 tspn salt 
  • 1/2 tspn vanilla extract 
  • 1- 2 Tb yogurt or cream cheese or ricotta
  • 1/2 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips 
  1. Cream the butter and sugar till fluffy and light. 
  2. Stir together the flour, baking soda, and salt. Add to butter mixture. 
  3. Then add cream cheese and vanilla. Mix in chocolate chips. Refrigerate till using. 
Cookie Dough Frosting 
  • 1 1/2 sticks (3/4 cup) unsalted butter, softened 
  • 1 3/4 cups confectioner's sugar 
  • 1/3 cup packed brown sugar 
  • 1/2 cup flour 
  • 1 - 2 Tb milk 
  • 1 tspn vanilla extract 
  1. Beat the butter with the sugars. 
  2. Add flour. Add vanilla. Beat well. 
  3. Add enough milk to make desired consistency. Refrigerate till using.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...