Welcome!

Welcome to my blog, where one may find all sorts of random, hopefully amusing tidbits about food & other things.

May 15, 2012

randoms.

I have these random food pictures all over the place that I decided to just collect into a post. I usually like reading these types of posts on other blogs, and it seems fun to write, so here it goes!


Click me.
I love falooda.

My mom made this. I don't know anyone who owns the kitchen better than my mom. She knows how happy food makes me, as well as my favorite items. I adore rose anything. Falooda is an Indian dessert, consisting of a base of rabdi, or whole milk that has been boiled and reduced till it is thick and takes on a light caramel color and amazing flavor. Sugar is added to sweeten it. Atop that goes soaked vermicelli noodles, takmaria (basil seeds that have zero basil flavor, and become gelatinous subsequent to soaking), and rose syrup.

I also enjoy learning about the cultural background of food and food items.


For instance, I never knew chianti (Italian red wine) was originally stored in bottles enclosed by a straw basket called a fiasco. Not many wine makers sell it in the original style now, but some do. I love how classy and intriguing it is.

Another cultural thing - I went to New Zealand not this past winter, but the winter before. Like a true foodie, I researched food & food trends that were native to New Zealand before getting there.


I heard a lot about hokey pokey ice cream. It is vanilla ice cream with small pieces of honeycomb toffee. It is a favorite of the Kiwis. I tried it, and it wasn't bad! Can't compare with my vanilla crunch swirl, though.

New Zealanders also keep their eggs not in a refrigerated area. The eggs are sold in the baking aisle, with the flour, etc! Weird concept, right? And even when people bring their eggs home, they don't store them in the fridge.

Both NZ pictures - courtesy of Ipod Touch.

I think that's so interesting. My parents have really instilled a love of travelling in me, and we are fortunate to be able to travel. Food is really the most standout part of every place we visit, in my mind, along with sites of natural or historical beauty.

I might do more such posts, if this is interesting. I like spreading unusual things I find or eat or thoughts I have. Tootlies for now, lovelies.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...