Welcome!

Welcome to my blog, where one may find all sorts of random, hopefully amusing tidbits about food & other things.

July 22, 2011

basic cream cheese frosting.

Yum. I love frosting. For some people, that's the worst part of the cake, especially on those store-bought cakes. The ones that are yellow, chocolate, or white cake, and have that massively thick layer of buttercream on top and skimming the sides.

You know what I'm talking about! That buttercream is heavy stuff. And despite turning off every single person I know, I like it. I like that sickly sweetness .. is that weird?


Don't get me wrong, I totally appreciate mellow frostings (like the one I am about to share with you) and glazes, icings ... but I don't mind that super sweet buttercream. I kind of anticipate it.


LET'S TALK FROSTING.


I created this cream cheese frosting all on my own.

I was inspired by my mother's classic recipe for cheesecake, which uses not only Neufchatel cheese (aka - cream cheese), but incorporates sour cream and ricotta. This makes for a silky, less dense texture. In this frosting, I added some ricotta to a mainly cream cheese base. Sour cream is not thick enough and would make the frosting runnier. Alternatively, ricotta can hold its own and is more solid.

I used a similar sort of thing as a filling for "Red" Velvet Whoopie Pies recently.

And most recently, I added cinnamon to a batch to frost a Strawberry Layer Cake.

Two really good things about this frosting?
  1) You can easily add spices and flavorings, like citrus zest or cinnamon.
  2) This will make a perfect amount to frost a round two layer cake. It's so perfect.

Basic Cream Cheese Frosting
recipe created by myself. enough to completely frost one round 2-layer cake.
  • 1 8 oz. package cream cheese, or Neufchatel cheese, room temperature 
  • 1/3 cup ricotta (whole milk will make for the best texture) 
  • 3/4 - 1 cup confectioner's sugar 
  • 2 tspns vanilla extract 
  1. Beat the cream cheese until fluffy and not clumpy. 
  2. Add ricotta and blend the two together very well. 
  3. Add sugar, to taste. You can add up to 1 more cup of sugar than called for, if you want a sweeter frosting. This sugar limit will make for a mellow frosting, perfect to highlight the flavor of the cake you are frosting. 
  4. Beat in vanilla. Chill until ready to use. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...