Welcome!

Welcome to my blog, where one may find all sorts of random, hopefully amusing tidbits about food & other things.

June 25, 2011

rice krispies.


I just ate a Chewy Bar. And let me tell if you, if I had access to the fresh, not even day old rice krispies sitting in my kitchen right now, I would not have had to eat a Chewy bar.

What's my problem with them, you ask? Well for one, they don't hold together. I mean, this is supposed to be a convenient, on-the-go sort of food, and how can that be possible if all the mini chocolate chips keep falling off? Also, they taste so packaged and fake. I would rather eat my homemade clif bars than this gooey bar thing.


And the clif bars have nutritional value, as well. I wouldn't mind the Chewy bars so much if they had some health benefits, but OKAY. ONE GRAM FIBER. ONE GRAM PROTEIN. Yes, it's better than the three (uh, well, two now) Ferrero Rochers I have sitting next to me, taunting me ... oh the hazelnut chocolate filling and the chocolate shell with finely chopped nuts in contrast to the smooth filling ... Ooo ... but honestly, I wish I had spent my 100 calories on the Ferrero Rocher, because it might have given me more protein than the chewy bar.

Not really, but I would have been a lot more satisfied. And I like to be dramatic.

It's funny, because I have a good friend who really, really likes Chewy bars. Anyway, the sad little bar I ate and now regret eating inititated thoughts of superior bars. Like rice krispies! Except once you make them at home, you will have trouble eating the packaged version again. Which is thankfully not that big a problem, because they are so easy to make at home!


I used stale marshmallows (all I had). A mix of regular sized and mini. I like a little diversity, ya know?

Sorry for the yellow tint. Miserable lighting.

And I used butter.

Butter and mallows. Melted till bubbling and one homogeneous mixture. Ooo biology terms. I know it's more a chemistry term, but I hate chemistry. And then 6 cups of Rice Krispies cereal quickly stirred in before it is all patted out into a baking pan. And cut into squares about two minutes later. Nice.

Do you like em plain . .


Or with Nutella?


Or how bout some ole non-recalled Reduced Fat creamy peanut butter? Oops, ate it too fast, no picture.

These two below are kinda artsy.



Rice Krispies
from the original source, of course.
  • 3 Tb unsalted butter
  • 1 10 oz. package of regular marshmallows (about 40 of them) OR 4 cups mini marshmallows
  • 6 cups Rice Krispies cereal
  1. Grease a 9x13" baking pan.
  2. Melt butter in a large saucepan.
  3. Measure out marshmallows and cereal so it can be quickly added to the butter after it's done melting.
  4. Add marshmallows to the butter. Stir together until it is all completely mixed and melted.
  5. Turn off the heat and add cereal. Quickly stir it all in.
  6. Dump and press the mixture into greased baking pan. Coat the bottom of a small flat bowl with a little oil, and use it to press the mixture down. Cool completely - probably five minutes max.
  7. Cut into whatever shapes you want and store in airtight container. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...